A Dean Goods on Passenger Duty
20"x16". Alkyd. 1991
These engines date from 1883. At first, they were used for main line work. When the
more powerful Churchward 2-8-0s began to appear in the mid-1900s the Dean Goods were
demoted to more humble duties, frequently being used on secondary passenger workings.
About sixty members of the class worked in France during the first world war. The second
war saw more than one hundred requisitioned, some serving in north Africa. After the
war, twenty-two of the engines were sold to China. The last members of the class still
at home were withdrawn in 1957.