A GWR Star Races a Storm
20"x24". Alkyd. 1991.
The 'Stars' were a 1906 Churchward design, a four-cylinder version of his 'Saints'.
These engines were much used on the West Country expresses until the more powerful Castles
(and, later, Kings) became available. They were named after Stars, Kings, Queens, Knights,
Princes, Princesses and Abbeys. The last batch were built in 1922/3. They saw service
into the 1950s.