The Church and Clergy House, Alfriston
20" x 30". Alkyd. 1990
There has been a settlement here for many years, certainly back
to Saxon times. The substantial church dates back to the fourteenth
century and is often called the 'Cathedral of the Downs'. The mound
on which it stands is thought to have been a pagan burial-place.
The building to the right of the picture is the Old Clergy House,
of about 1350. In 1896 it became the first building to be purchased
by the National Trust - at a cost of ten pounds. The green in front
of the church is known as the Tye.